Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Surprises

Remember how I said I hate surprises? Well, I still do, technically, but I received a phone call Sunday evening from someone who is so special, one of my favorite people of all time, and hearing her voice on the machine warmed my soul. (She happened to call during the mad dinner-bath-bed rush to the finish line - so I didn't get a chance to call her back until last night.)

I had to run out last night after dinner to get formula, baby food, and wipes for Jack (our little hippo is eating us out of house and home), so I figured I had a few minutes to return the call and hopefully catch up.

I ended up being sequestered in the utter quiet of my car in the Target parking lot for an hour. An HOUR.

And it was lovely.

An hour of uninterrupted peace to share, laugh, cry, and reminisce with my dear dear cousin Trish.

Trish is someone I've looked up to my whole life. She is the person I've thought of as an elder sister since, well, forever. She proudly stood by my side as my matron of honor on the day I took my vows to Deonne. She has supported me through all of the ups and downs that life has given.

And I admire her.

She used to come visit our family (mom, dad, brother, and I) during her summer breaks when she was a teenager, and I was a little girl. I always thought it was so cool that my older cousin would come to stay. I loved to look at all of her 'cool' teenager stuff, like magazines, hair combs, make-up, and even, yes, her beloved pictures of Chachi. I think you could honestly say I worshiped her.

I suspect for her, it wasn't so 'cool' to be stuck on a glorified farm in the middle of Eastern Washington state with no friends, no boys to flirt with, and only your two younger cousins to play with - but if so, she hid it well. And oh, the fun we had. I'm filled with memories of those long summer days together.

As we both grew older, me into a teenager and her into a young adult, we'd still spend time together during my spring and summer breaks from school. I'd fly down to California and stay with various family members - and Trish - she always made time for me. Always. Even if it was just to talk on the phone (for hours) we would catch up, laugh, giggle, and she always treated me as a friend. Someone on her level. Not the bratty child I was, or the awkward teenager, but a friend.

She'd introduce me to her friends, her boyfriends, her life - we'd drive around in her car (and she actually taught me to drive well before I was of legal driving age) - and I thought she was so cool.

The sister I never had.

I miss her terribly, and wish we were in closer geographic proximity to each other - so that we could really share in each other's day to day lives.

Our conversation was lovely. It refreshed my spirit. It brought back so many comforting memories of my home and family on the West coast - and reminded me of who I am. Where I come from. And what matters most in this world.

I love you Trish - and I can't wait to talk to you again - and giggle like school girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment