Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mirror Mirror...

I'm in the thick of party planning... two major events approximately 24 hours apart. I'm starting to think I'm insane...


Let's see - for Anna's birthday bash - my awesome friend Logan came up with the most beautiful birthday invitations. I LOVE them!!! Seriously girl, you need to start a business, and all you readers out there need to have her custom design your invites! Aren't they pretty!







Her birthday cake is going to look like this:







...except it will say Anna instead of Addie Mac. This cake is from Vintage Bakery - I've been going to Vicky since Anna's very first birthday. I'm so lucky that there is a baker who will go beyond the flat sheet-cake grocery store variety. Once upon a time I took the Wilton cake decorating classes at Michaels. I enjoyed it - and made it through levels 1 and 2 - but by the time 3 came along I was knee-deep in wedding planning, and it sort of dropped. Kathy has inspired me through the cakes she makes for her kids' birthdays to re-think the series - perhaps fondant isn't as scary as I think it is...

In keeping with the whole 'poisoned apple' theme, I'm planning on making apple shaped sugar cookie cut-outs as part of the favors (per usual for our birthday bashes) but this time am venturing out on a limb to make cookie-pops. I'll keep you posted as to how that goes - the lady at the cake decorating store gave me some tips - I'd better do a test run before the big day though - my luck I'd end up with a huge mess... I'd like to serve/display them standing up in baskets - but am not sure what to hold the sticks up with. Jelly beans? I'm not sure if they will be dense enough to support 40 cookie pops...

The rest of the menu is typical kid food - apple slices (of course) with caramel dip, cheese puffs (per Anna's request), and then bottled water and juices. Because of the time of the party I don't need to worry about too much more - just enough to keep the kids happy (and hopefully not totally loaded up on sugar) during the performance.

For goody-bags, I've made a Snow White coloring book (using free clip-art on the web), have a box of 24 Crayola crayons (thank goodness for the back to school sales), a ring pop (think gems that the Seven Dwarves mined), and ... what else...

The dilemma becomes this - the party is from 10-12 - with the performance starting at 11. That gives us an entire hour to occupy upwards of 30 kids (because Anna wanted to invite her entire class, along with the usual close family friends.) I had considered doing a craft activity to keep little fingers busy - but we're limited (nothing too messy as we have to cart everything there and don't want to have to haul too much stuff.)

I'm thinking about the Melissa and Doug decorate your own princess mirror (for the girls - think magic mirror) and pirate chest (for the boys.) If I do that - then the craft will be the major item in the goody bag.

I had found them for a steal on the web - about a month ago when I first started planning. Now that website is completely sold out - and the cheapest I can find them are around $5-6 each. Not a huge price - but multiply that by the number of kids, add in the ticket cost per kid - and it's getting kind of expensive...

I need some other ideas of what to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment