Sunday, May 2, 2010

Childrens/Infant Tylenol/Motrin Recall

If you live in the same world that I do - the one where you have no idea what is actually going on in the world unless a bomb drops on your house - you may not have heard about the over-the-counter children's medicine recall that was released on Friday.

After hearing about this (this Sunday morning - following a random phone call alerting us to the recall) and digging through all of our stash of fever reducing medicine - we discovered that every.single.bottle of infant and/or children's Tylenol and Motrin we had on hand are affected by this recall.

I'm trying not to freak out too much - adding up in my head just how many doses of this stuff I've given my kids recently (with all of the ongoing ear infections/surgeries/random fever viruses/hand-foot-and-mouth/and teething.)

I've read rumors that Wal Mart is taking back the medicines - no questions asked - and giving out the purchase price. In cash.

I'm not so concerned about the lost $$ - although the stash I'd accumulated was quite large - and if I add up all of the money I've spent on it - it's quite considerable.

I am concerned about the possibility of finding medicine that's not affected by the recall. And I fully admit - it makes me nervous to have three kids in the house with no fever reducing medicine.

I did place a call to the weekend nurse at our ped. practice. She said that her information shows that it is only the McNeil Pharmaceutical products (read: name brand) that are affected - and any generic brands should be just find.

A quick run to the Wal Mart near our house resulted in finding three of the four meds we typically keep in the house - and even those were limited.

Long story short - don't use any name brand Tylenol or Motrin products you may have in your home until you check the bar code. And don't be surprised if you can't find a substitute at your local store - nervous ninnies like myself are currently causing a rush on generic products.

No comments:

Post a Comment