Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me!

So today's the day I turn 36. 36! I've officially started the descent towards 40 and I'm not at all sure how I feel about that. The whole aging thing...

I am reminded of that song "Strawberry Wine" that was popular about the time I graduated from college - particularly the line "I still remember...when 30 was old..." And I do. Remember when 30 seemed so far away. That was a lifetime ago - and I barely recognize the girl I was then.....

My birthday today has been very nice so far. I was awakened to a sweet little boy snuggled up against me - who had apparently crawled in the bed between Deonne and I in the night. I opened my eyes to see his sweet peaceful face - and reached over to pull him closer and just feel his warm even breathing.

Of course, as soon as he opened his eyes he was wide-open and raring to go - and spilled the beans that Daddy had bought bagels for breakfast.

I took some "personal time" this morning after Deonne left with the kids for school and work - and treated myself to an hour hot-rock massage and an hour facial at my favorite neighborhood spa, Urban Nirvana. It was lovely. I always find it hard to relax for the first 15 minutes or so of a massage - something about a strangers hands rubbing all over my body tends to be counter-productive and make me tense up - but as the massage progressed, and those hot rocks penetrated my muscles - I was deeply soothed and relaxed.

I'd never had a full facial before - and I have to say I really liked it. And it made me really happy that my youthful esthetician told me I hardly have any signs of aging - just some dry skin beneath my eyes that her super groovy eye serum would help.

I finally made it into the office around lunchtime - and was greeted with some beautiful flowers (thanks Deonne) that brighten my desk.

I'm off in a few minutes to meet Deonne and the kids for dinner at Harpers. The nicest (yet family friendly) place we dare take our three kiddies to. They can be especially rambunctious after a long day at school - so we'll see how they - and all of their love - do tonight.

I would be remiss to omit from this post just how much I miss my mom and dad today. My mom used to call me every single morning on my birthday (even when I lived in Scotland) to tell me the story of the day I was born. (This following the years I awoke as a child and teen to her sitting on my bed, starting my day with "I remember the day you were born....")

And my dad - well he used to send me flowers - pink roses to be exact - the number of flowers equaling the number of years I was. Well, until I turned 18 - then he switched it to pink carnations - I guess the pink roses were getting expensive.... But I used to look forward to that pink bouquet - which was delivered to me at my classrooms at school, or my dorm room, or my office - where ever I ended up being.

I miss you Mommy. I miss you Daddy.

But tonight - tonight I look forward to my very special Party of Five - to the three little ones who fill my life with an energy I can't quite describe, a love I can never fully articulate, and a joy that fills my heart. And my spouse - my love - who makes this crazy life all worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Kristen!!!!

    I hope it's a wonderful day for you and your wee ones give you the gift of their best behavior at dinner. Enjoy the day and congrats on your ageless beauty! :) I've been seeing the footprints of father time on my face lately. :)
    Happiest of wishes for a year full of blessings.

    ReplyDelete