Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Merry New Year!

One of the best movies of all times has to be 'Trading Spaces' with Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy. Classic humor. And one of the best lines from the film has to be when Eddie's character pretends to be a foreign exchange student from Africa - proclaiming "Merry New Year" to anyone and everyone on the New Years Eve Train.

I giggle thinking about it...

So the Party of Five became the Party of Nine on New Years Eve with the help of some dear friends and their two boys. We threw together a last minute - impromptu party (truth be told, I cleaned out the fridge to make fun party food and snacks) and gathered to eat, play, watch the Gamecocks miserable showing at the Chick-Fil-A bowl, light off some fireworks, dazzle each other with sparklers, wear funny New Year hats and crowns, and have super fun doing so.

Deonne and I used to entertain all the time (prior to having children.) I love to entertain - I loved it then, and I love it now. Something about setting a pretty table, preparing fun food, and making people feel comfortable in my home channels my inner Martha Stewart. (In a good way.) I've missed entertaining bunches - for the fellowship and fun with friends as much as the opportunity to cook and make things pretty.

After having (surprise) Jack, our entertaining that had dwindled since the birth of Anna became non-existent. As he approaches two, however, I finally feel like we're able to manage our three children and our home to the point we can open it up to friends.

I truly had a wonderful evening - and look forward to many more in the new year. And to Michelle and Phil - thank you for helping us ring in the new year in style - it was a blast!

So, in true Eddie Murphy fashion - Merry New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment