Monday, January 3, 2011

Dreaming of a White (day after) Christmas

Seeing as I'm not a South Carolina native, I can't tell you the last time (if ever) the Midlands had any sort of snow in December (but I'm betting it's been a really long time.)  And I'll admit that I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to weather forecasts calling for flakes of white fluffy goodness.  Too many times I've fallen for the tales the weathermen have woven of snow only to be sorely disappointed.

When local meteorologists started predicting the possibility of a Christmas snow, I scoffed.  When James (who clearly has read and seen too many Christmas specials complete with White Christmases) started asking if we'd get snow for this holiday, I said 'no, not likely.'  When he complained and was sad that 'there was no Christmas without snow' I told him he needed to go hang out with Bing and Rosemary in Vermont - because here in the South - it just ain't happenin.'

So you can imagine my surprise when it actually started snowing on Christmas night.

We were delighted to wake up to a coating of snow across the yard.  (Including me - even if it did make a liar out of me.)

The children adored playing in the snow - making a tiny snowman, running amok in the softly falling flakes, trying to catch flakes with their tongues, and sliding down their new slide - until James slid one too many times, soaked his jeans right through and proclaimed 'I'm finished being cold mommy!'

Then it was inside for big mugs of warm (not hot) cocoa.

I think these pictures say it all.








No comments:

Post a Comment