Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It's Gettin' Hot In Here...

So by now, dear readers (all four of you), it should come as no surprise for me to say (yet again) how much I detest the heat. I just don't function well when it's 95 degrees with upwards of 90% humidity.

It's not that I haven't been exposed to high temperatures throughout most of my life. I grew up and spent most all of my formative years in Washington State. And, no, not the Western side of Washington State (the side of the state that gets all the press about being green and rainy and all Pacific-Northwest-ey). Rather, I was raised in the Eastern portion of Washington State. The lesser known, arid, dry half of the state that rarely sees rain due to the Cascade Mountains trapping weather systems and preventing them from moving East.

Yes, Eastern Washington, land of the silty loess covered hills, tumbleweed, sagebrush, Rattlesnake Mountain, and desert-like heat in the summers. I'm talking temperatures exceeding 100 degrees on a daily basis, for weeks at a time. Hot, dry heat. Kind of like being in a sauna.

But the thing is, being a desert and all, you knew that no matter how sizzling hot it was during the day - there would be a reprieve as the sun set and dusk arrived. It would get so chilly, in fact, that up until I moved to the South - I had been conditioned to bring a sweater or sweatshirt with me when I went out at night. Because it was that cool in the evenings.

So when I moved to the South - I naturally thought that it would cool off come evening. That when dark fell - the temperatures would also fall. (Insert Deonne's laughter at me on our first dates when I insisted on bringing said sweatshirts with me...)

And to be honest, it does cool off at night. Somewhat. The thermometer decreases from 90+ degrees to somewhere in the upper 70's.

Add in that pesky heat index though, and it still feels like it's 85 or higher.

At 2 am.

We're having a heat wave right now. And Columbia is the hottest place on the planet. Seriously. One of the kids teachers from daycare is from Venezuela - you know - the country that sits on the equator. She says it's hotter here than ON. THE. EQUATOR.

Yeah, gotta love Columbia in the dog days of summer...

So I move very slowly when I'm forced to be outside - less I suffer heat stroke - and basically move from my air conditioned house, to my air conditioned car, to my air conditioned office.

And look forward to the days when the humidity clears out - and I can once again enjoy the great outdoors.

Which would be sometime in November.....

Right now I'm thinking a move to Nome, Alaska is a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment